Don't believe me, but believe the MCP's of the world and believe all those (big) technical driven implementations that failed.
You really need to know your information and how it is organized:
- What information will your intranet, DMS, BI solution, etc contain?
- Who will be using it and how?
- How do they access it (...and find)
- When do they need it
Microsoft set up some starter worksheets that WILL help:
I suggest you use this information and implement in the mother of all enterprise applications: Excel (or even better in a database). Why?
- Maybe you want to modify your information structure at some point… where within our 1.000 sites did we use this site column? ;-)
- What happens when we modify our taxonomy?
Analyse the information that you will put into your SharePoint environment. Write it down and publish it to the people involved.